Return to all FAQ's

We are going through a separation. Are there any alternatives to court?

Yes there are. These include direct negotiation between the parties, assisted negotiation by family lawyers, mediation, family law mediation followed by arbitration or resolution using the Collaborative Family Law process. 

The outcome that a husband and wife want to achieve using any of these processes is a comprehensive separation agreement; a contract resolving all issues between the parties based upon full and complete financial disclosure between the parties and with both parties having independent legal advice. 

Very often when people come into my office they have already met with their spouse and have come to an agreement on many of these issues and they have jotted their agreement down on a piece of paper in point form.  A family law lawyer can take these points of agreement and put them in the proper legal language and incorporate these into a Separation Agreement.

Brantford Office

20 Wellington St., P.O. Box 1510
Brantford, ON N3T 5V6
t 519.759.6220
f 519.759.8360

Paris Office

7 William St.
Paris, ON N3L 1K6
t 519.442.5571
f 519.442.5567

Proudly Serving our community for over 90 years

Contact Waterous